Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lotus F1 team signs first driver


The new Malaysian-backed Lotus Formula One team has signed its first driver, principal Tony Fernandes said without giving any name.
2009 Principal of the new Lotus 1Malaysia F1 team, Tony Fernandes - 0
More Stories

"One Malaysia Formula One team aka Lotus has signed its first driver," the aviation entrepreneur announced on his Twitter feed.


"Public announcement soon. The dream continues," he added.

Italian Jarno Trulli, who drove for now-departed Toyota this year, has been linked in media speculation to the new team whose technical head is former Toyota technical director Mike Gascoyne.

Malaysian Fairuz Fauzy is also expected to take on the reserve driver role.

Lotus are one of five new teams due to make their debuts in 2010, with Toyota and BMW bowing out.

Malaysia's Bernama news agency earlier quoted the team saying it had successfully completed its own private side impact and nose box crash tests for the new car.

The report said the car's nose crumpled on impact but the vertical line which must remain intact after impact remained unscathed.

Lotus still have to pass the official crash tests from Formula One's world-governing body, the International Automobile Federation.

Under the FIA's strict rules on safety, all cars must comply with mandatory crash tests before being allowed to compete in Formula One.

The Lotus team was launched in September as a collaboration between the Malaysian government, who hold no equity in the team, and a trio of entrepreneurs.

Lotus are aiming for a roll out of the new car in mid-February to test it before the season opener in Bahrain in March.
Reuters

Alonso visits Ferrari factory

Maranello - Double world champion Fernando Alonso visited Ferrari on Friday for the first time since he signed a three-year contract to drive for the Italian Formula One team.

Ferrari said on their website the Spaniard, who remains under contract to Renault until the end of the year, arrived at the Maranello factory gates just after 08:00 for talks with team management and technicians.

Alonso, who had a half-hour meeting with Ferrari chairperson Luca di Montezemolo, also did a couple of laps of Ferrari's Fiorano test track in a red Ferrari 458 Italia sportscar.

Button visits McLaren factory

Formula One world champion Jenson Button has visited McLaren, fuelling speculation he could be lining up a switch from Brawn to become Lewis Hamilton's team-mate next season.

"Having just landed at Heathrow (airport), Jenson made a small detour to Woking to say a quick hello," a McLaren spokesman said.

He confirmed the 29-year-old Briton, who was given a guided tour of the factory, met McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh.

Button is out of contract with Mercedes-powered champions Brawn, which is keen to retain him but not at any price.

Team boss Ross Brawn said earlier this week the chances of a deal being done were 99 per cent, hinting also the team might give the driver more scope to benefit from personal sponsorship.

"We can offer a higher proportion of driver freedom and that will probably be the route we will go," he said.

Button took a significant pay cut, around 5 million pounds according to some media reports, to stay with Brawn this year after their predecessors Honda pulled out last December.

Although driver salaries are coming down as teams cut costs, Button wants his pay restored to something more appropriate to a world champion - likely to be in the region of 8 million pounds.

McLaren, with 2008 world champion Hamilton earning considerably more than that, would have no problem meeting Button's financial demands.

If Button were to join, McLaren would then have a line-up of champions for the first time since the late Brazilian Ayrton Senna and France's Alain Prost were at the team in 1989.

The team would also have a dream all-English pairing.

The Guardian website (www.guardian.co.uk) said Button and his manager Richard Goddard were given an escorted tour of McLaren's facilities.

"As I've said many times before, Jenson wants to drive a car which is capable of winning the next world championship," Goddard told the newspaper.

"We've been talking about possible terms for 2010 with Brawn for months and we're not being difficult or unreasonably expensive in our demands for Jenson.

"In fact, we've given up quite a lot of negotiating ground in our discussions with them."

The paper said a contract could be signed next week.

McLaren's former driver Kimi Raikkonen, who has left Ferrari, would be the Woking team's fallback if the Button deal failed. Germany's Nick Heidfeld was third in line.

"I think it's also important that Jenson wants to feel valued in whatever situation he finds himself next season," Goddard said.

"He needs to explore all the feasible options."
-Reuters
 
\