Sunday, November 15, 2009

Ferrari hails Alonso at Valencia


Luca di Montezemolo hailed Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa as the best driver pairing in Formula 1 as Ferrari introduced its 2010 line-up to its fans during its World Finals event at Valencia.

The traditional winter meeting both brings Ferrari's various sportscar championships to an end and celebrates the company's achievements with demonstration runs and big name guests.

This year it moved from its usual Italian home to Spanish circuit Valencia, where 17,000 fans came to see Alonso in his first appearance for his new team after Renault gave permission for him to attend even though he remains under contract to the French company until the end of the year.

"For me Felipe and Fernando are the best drivers couple in Formula 1," said di Montezemolo, who caused a stir when he accidentally beached his drivers in the gravel while giving them a passenger ride in an open top sportscar.


Luca di Montezemolo hailed Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa as the best driver pairing in Formula 1 as Ferrari introduced its 2010 line-up to its fans during its World Finals event at Valencia.

The traditional winter meeting both brings Ferrari's various sportscar championships to an end and celebrates the company's achievements with demonstration runs and big name guests.

This year it moved from its usual Italian home to Spanish circuit Valencia, where 17,000 fans came to see Alonso in his first appearance for his new team after Renault gave permission for him to attend even though he remains under contract to the French company until the end of the year.

"For me Felipe and Fernando are the best drivers couple in Formula 1," said di Montezemolo, who caused a stir when he accidentally beached his drivers in the gravel while giving them a passenger ride in an open top sportscar.

"I am convinced that they both will be very motivated and will want to win.

"I am not worried about having two Latin drivers, which may be for the first time in our history.

"They both know very well that first of all they are racing for Ferrari and not for themselves."

Alonso said the Valencia weekend had underlined what a special experience driving for Ferrari would be.

"This is a very important day for me, because here I can understand what the world of Ferrari is really like,” he said.

"In 2010 I hope to fight for the world title together with Felipe and that all the fans can be proud of us and our professionalism.”

The event also saw Massa reunited with this year's F60 chassis, as he had used a 2008 machine for his comeback test last month to comply with the testing ban.

"It was fantastic and I am so happy," he said.

"Although I could drive just a little, I really enjoyed being here.

"I am very motivated, this today for me is like victory.

"It was just like before the accident at the Hungaroring."

F1 new team lotus announcement first driver for the 2010 season



The Lotus team is on the brink of announcing its first driver for the 2010 season.

Team boss Tony Fernandes revealed via Twitter that a signing had been made, although he did not give any clues as to the driver's identity.

"1Malaysia Formula 1 team, aka Lotus, has signed its first driver," Fernandes wrote. "Public announcement soon. The dream continues."

Former Toyota driver Jarno Trulli has been strongly linked to one of the Lotus seats, due in part to his close links with the team's technical chief Mike Gascoyne, who worked with the Italian at Jordan, Renault and Toyota.

Gascoyne has indicated that his preference is to sign two experienced drivers for the team's debut season, although Fernandes told AUTOSPORT earlier this week that he was keen to pair an emerging young star with someone with Formula 1 experience.

"If we can get a guy who has been doing it for a long time, that's fantastic because you can't buy experience and he can help us develop the car and the team," said Fernandes. "And he can help us after the race, adding value to driver development.

"On the second driver, I think that it's good to have someone young because sometimes if you have been doing it for 15 years there is a little bit of cynicism and it gets repetitious. If you've got an energetic young guy that rubs off on you. Ultimately, I will leave it to Mike and the team to decide."

Fernandes has ruled out giving a race seat to leading Malaysian driver Fairuz Fauzy, but the Formula Renault 3.5 runner-up could be in line for a test and reserve role.

F1 new team Lotus announced their Driver for season 2010

The Lotus team is on the brink of announcing its first driver for the 2010 season.

Team boss Tony Fernandes revealed via Twitter that a signing had been made, although he did not give any clues as to the driver's identity.

"1Malaysia Formula 1 team, aka Lotus, has signed its first driver," Fernandes wrote. "Public announcement soon. The dream continues."

Former Toyota driver Jarno Trulli has been strongly linked to one of the Lotus seats, due in part to his close links with the team's technical chief Mike Gascoyne, who worked with the Italian at Jordan, Renault and Toyota.

Gascoyne has indicated that his preference is to sign two experienced drivers for the team's debut season, although Fernandes told AUTOSPORT earlier this week that he was keen to pair an emerging young star with someone with Formula 1 experience.

"If we can get a guy who has been doing it for a long time, that's fantastic because you can't buy experience and he can help us develop the car and the team," said Fernandes. "And he can help us after the race, adding value to driver development.

"On the second driver, I think that it's good to have someone young because sometimes if you have been doing it for 15 years there is a little bit of cynicism and it gets repetitious. If you've got an energetic young guy that rubs off on you. Ultimately, I will leave it to Mike and the team to decide."

Fernandes has ruled out giving a race seat to leading Malaysian driver Fairuz Fauzy, but the Formula Renault 3.5 runner-up could be in line for a test and reserve role.

Felipe Massa:F1 return feels like a race win



Felipe Massa described his return to the cockpit of this year's Ferrari F60 as feeling as satisfying as a grand prix victory.

The Brazilian completed several demonstration laps in the team's 2009 car at today's World Finals event - Ferrari's traditional end of season celebration - at Valencia. It was the first time Massa had driven the F60 since he was injured in Hungarian GP qualifying in July, as the testing restrictions meant he had to use a 2008 car for his comeback test last month.

"It was fantastic and I am so happy," said Massa. "Although I could drive just a little, I really enjoyed being here. I am very motivated - this today for me is like victory. It was just like before the accident at the Hungaroring."

He said the Valencia event had been even more special than his test return at Fiorano or his appearances at the Brazilian and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix.

"I am very happy to be here, that I can work with the team," said Massa. "It's true that I've been with them in Sao Paulo and in Abu Dhabi, but driving is really extraordinary.

"Today I also want to thank all the fans, who were really close to me over the last months. The messages I received were wonderful. Let's hope that we can give our fans some satisfaction in 2010."

The World Finals also marked Fernando Alonso's first official appearance for Ferrari. Team chairman Luca di Montezemolo is confident that in Alonso and Massa the squad will have the best line-up in the 2010 F1 field.

"For me Felipe and Fernando are the best drivers couple in Formula 1," said di Montezemolo. "I am convinced that they both will be very motivated and will want to win. I am not worried about having two Latin drivers, which may be for the first time in our history.

"They both know very well that first of all they are racing for Ferrari and not for themselves."

Massa Vs Alonso confilct ahead?


Felipe Massa insists he won't be playing second fiddle to Fernando Alonso when the two team up at Ferrari next season.

After years of rumours, Ferrari finally confirmed Alonso's signing back in September with the double World Champion replacing the ousted Kimi Raikkonen.

And with his two World titles behind him, many are expecting Alonso to automatically take the role of number one driver, leaving Massa to play second fiddle.

The Brazilian's chances of asserting dominance over the Spaniard also haven't been helped by his recently lay-off as he's been out of action since July's Hungarian GP after a life- and career-threating injury.

Massa, though, is confident he can match Alonso, who he rates as a "great driver...one of the best in Formula 1", as he says Ferrari work as a team and that the situation in the past where Michael Schumacher was the clear number one was because the seven-time World Champ had earned that honour.

"Whoever comes to Ferrari is always going to be a very strong driver, because they always have the best ones," crash.net claims he told Brazilian radio station Jovem Pan FM.

"I will do as I always have done - try to win.

"The work within a team is always collective. Schumacher carried a great influence at Ferrari because he earned it; he arrived, worked and created a competitive team.

"To have that position you have to work hard and achieve results."
 
\